Hungary: Rules for entering Hungary during the coronavirus crisis
I. For EEA citizens
Citizens of EEA countries who have the right of permanent residence in Hungary proven by a permanent residence card or registration card shall be treated in the same way as a Hungarian citizen.
Accordingly, an EEA citizen may enter Hungary with the following documents:
- Card certifying Hungarian address („address card”);
- Card certifying the right of residence in Hungary („registration card”, „permanent residence card”);
- Photo ID card.
Obligations to be complied upon entering Hungary and thereafter:
- citizens who wish to enter must undergo a mandatory medical screening test upon entry;
- those who are suspected of being infected with Covid-19 based on the medical examination will be placed in a designated quarantine;
- those who are not suspected of being infected with Covid-19 based on the medical examination, must undergo epidemiological surveillance at their place of residence for 14 days (home quarantine). These persons will be registered by the epidemiological authority and the rules for quarantine will be supervised by the police.
Code of conduct of the official home quarantine:
- The warning sign received from the authorities must be placed on the front door of your residence.
- You must stay in your home during the epidemiological surveillance. You cannot leave home or host guests in your home.
- In case of necessary health care, you must consult your doctor / the doctor on duty in advance.
- In the event of respiratory symptoms, you must immediately inform your general medical practitioner or doctor on duty and follow the given instructions.
Exemptions from the official home quarantine
In exceptional cases, meriting special consideration, a specific code of conduct may be requested in a separate application, i.e. partial exemption from the home quarantine, if no Covid-19 infection is suspected during the medical examination. An application for exemption may be well-founded in particular if:
- it is justified by an urgent event (e.g. funeral), or
- the work of the given person is proven to be irreplaceable.
II. For non-Hungarian (and non-EEA citizens) arriving from abroad
As a general rule, non-Hungarian citizens travelling to Hungary from abroad are not allowed to enter the territory of Hungary according to the current rules. However, in exceptional cases, meriting special consideration, a waiver from the entry ban may be requested in a separate application as well as a partial exemption from the rules of quarantine in such a way that the authority lays down a specific code of conduct for that particular person. Also in this case the condition is that the applicant does not suspect Covid-19 infection during the medical examination. However, current experience proves this to be a very limited possibility. This may be the case for example if a company of special importance for national economy considerations requests this for an employee whose work is irreplaceable.
III. Exceptions to the above rules
The Government Decree issued on 30 April 2020 provided the following addition to the above rules: as of 1 May 2020 citizens of the following countries – arriving from the territory of these countries – may enter the territory of Hungary without the restrictions detailed above for the purposes of business travel between affiliated entities:
Any questions? Please contact: Dr. Edina Czeglédy
- Czech Republic;
- Republic of Poland;
- Republic of Korea;
- Federal Republic of Germany;
- Republic of Austria;
- Slovak Republic.
, Dr Tímea Molnár
Practice group: Employment & Pensions