- Data Privacy
- Telecommunications, Digitalization
Pascal Schumacher is a technology lawyer with a focus data privacy. He has particular expertise in regulated industries like the telecoms, banking, insurance and eHealth/ life sciences sectors.
Pascal’s clients include industry flagships as well as some of the most successful tech start-ups in Europe.
Clients often come to him for specialized advice at the interlinks between their complex regulatory framework and data privacy compliance, e.g. when implementing new worldwide business opportunities. They value his business-minded approach and responsiveness.
His work includes the design of digital platforms, privacy governance and litigation, and complex data/ tech agreements.
Pascal Schumacher is Noerr’s data protection official.
- Legal studies and traineeship in Berlin, Paris, Muenster and Düsseldorf
- European Commission expert in the EU-China InfoSoc Project, Beijing (telecoms working group)
- Head of the regulatory research group at the institute for IT, telecommunication and media law
- Lawyer with a boutique for regulatory law
- With Noerr since 2013
- Admitted to the Berlin Chamber of Lawyers
- SpaceX: regulatory compliance and user onboarding for Starlink
- Microsoft: regulatory advice on collaboration and cloud services
- Ada Health: Advice on data protection law at the interface with medical device regulation
- Various insurance companies and banks: Legal representation in private enforcement proceedings for data protection damages
- Inmarsat on the provision of high-speed inflight WiFi services onboard Lufthansa’s European continental fleet
- DFL on TV and OTT broadcasting rights for the German football league (Bundesliga)
- Leading online bank: Ongoing advice on data protection law, including proceedings before the supervisory authority
- Leading provider of insurance in the motor vehicle sector: Coordination of all international data protection law consulting
- Leading global provider of mail-order cooking boxes: Implementation of a comprehensive data privacy risk analysis and restructuring of internal data transfer, data privacy governance, and adaptation of business processes, among other things.
- LVM: data protection advice on carve-out transaction for the sale of the fund business and takeover of other business units (construction financing) of Augsburger Aktienbank
- Breitling: Data protection advice on the sales business
- Sunshine Smile: Data protection law advice at the interface with medical device regulation
- Leading digital real estate broker: Implementation of a comprehensive data protection risk analysis
- Recommended for Data Protection and "name of the next generation" for Telecommunications, Best Lawyers and Legal 500 (2022). Noerr's data protection practice (Legal 500) and telecommunications practice (JUVE, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers) are each listed in the first band.
- "Pascal Schumacher: Because of his experience, he is very good at bringing the risks, if any, common practice and possible reaction of the authorities into the decision-making of the company, which actually makes it easier for complex projects." Legal 500 2022
- "Pascal Schumacher can always be reached quickly (...), is patient and also very flexible. You have the feeling with him that you are always looked after with priority A. Furthermore, he also supports the communication with international subsidiaries very professionally and is available for worldwide advice." Legal 500 2022
- "I have always found the Noerr teams I have worked with to be very responsive, accessible, thorough and business-oriented. Pascal Schumacher [...] deserves a special mention in this regard." Legal 500 2021
- "This makes it all the more remarkable that a salary partner advises at the interfaces to telecoms-related IoT products and OTT services, including Microsoft and, more recently, another US tech company." JUVE 2020
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Recht und Informatik e.V. (DGRI)
- Internet & Gesellschaft Collaboratory e.V.
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht
- Das Datenrecht als neues Rechtsgebiet?, Guest article in Legal Tribune Online of 21 March 2022 (with Max von Schönfeld and Marvin Bartels)
- Market Intelligence - Privacy and Cybersecurity 2022 - Country Chapter Germany, Lexology Getting the Deal Through, 2022 (with Daniel Rücker, Sebastian Dienst and David Bomhard)
- The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) Data Protection 2022 - Germany Chapter (with Daniel Rücker, Julian Monschke and Korbinian Hartl)
- Cookie Compliance, quo vadis?, in: MMR 2021, p. 603 et seq. (with Max von Schoenfeld and Lennart Sydow)
- Review of the judgement of the European Court of Justice of 13 June 2019 (C-193/18) on whether Gmail qualifies as a telecommunication service under European telecom regulation, K&R 2019, 490-491.
- Part 5 - Data Protection, in: Bräutigam, IT-Outsourcing und Cloud-Computing, ESV, 4. ed. 2019
- Co-author of chapters B and D, in: von Rücker/Kugler, New European General Data Protection Regulation - A practitioner`s Guide, Nomos 2017.
- OTT-Dienste und Telekommunikationsrecht – Einordnung der neuen Dienste im Kontext der TK-Regulierung, in: K&R 12/2015, pp. 771-776
- Ein Abgesang auf den Routerzwang? – Plädoyer für eine funktional differenzierende Auslegung der einschlägigen Regelungen (with Michael Bergmann), in: MMR 2015, pp. 13 et seq.
- Beck’scher TKG-Kommentar (co-author §§ 77a-77e TKG), C.H. Beck, 4. ed. 2013
- IT-Director, Issue 4/2022, "What does the EU Data Act bring?", page 19
- Berliner Zeitung, 12.12.2020, "How hypocritical is data protection?", page 2