- German and European antitrust law
- Telecommunications law
Dr Kathrin Westermann
Dr. Kathrin Westermann is an experienced specialist in all aspects of German and European antitrust law. She represents clients of most diverse industries in cartel, abuse and merger control proceedings before the Federal Cartel Office and the European Commission as well as in court. She also has long lasting experience in dawn raid scenarios. In recent years, her practice is further focussed on claims for antitrust damages.
In telecommunications law, Dr. Kathrin Westermann advises media- and telecommunications companies comprehensively on regulatory matters from the development of infrastructure up to Rates Regulation.
Dr. Kathrin Westermann began her career 1997 in a major German law firm. In addition, she worked for four years at the German Federal Cartel Office.
- Legal studies at the University of Berlin and at the University of Vienna (Austria)
- Received PhD at the university of Göttingen
- Experience abroad: Internship in New York (USA)
- With Noerr since 2002
- Admitted to the Berlin Chamber of Lawyers
- Deutsche Telekom: merger control advice on the acquisition of the eastern European GTS Group and conducting of merger control proceedings before the European Commission. (2014)
- Sky Deutschland: merger control advice on the acquisition of Plazamedia and a minority participation in Sport 1 and conducting of merger control proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office. (2014)
- Holtzbrinck: Legal representation before the European Commission for alleged collusion in the distribution of e-books. (2012) – Awarded the title of “European Behavioural Matter of the Year” at the GCR Awards 2013.
- Veolia Wasser: Advice relating to the abuse proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office against Berlin’s water supply company (BWB) for allegedly excessive water pricing (2012)
- Cemex: Defense against the antitrust damages claim brought by CDC Cartel Damages Claims against several cement manufacturers before the Regional Court (Landgericht) of Düsseldorf (following dismissal of the claim at first instance, currently on appeal before the Higher Regional Court (Oberlandesgericht) of Düsseldorf). (since 2005)
- Recommended lawyer for Competition, Who's Who Legal (2016)
- She is highlighted by the leading legal directories as a specialist in antitrust law: Chambers Europe, Juve, Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal and Wirtschaftswoche WiWo – Ranking für Kartellrechtler: Empfohlene Kartellrechtlerin aus 25 Top-Kartellrechtskanzleien (ranking for antitrust lawyers: recommended antitrust lawyer from 25 top antitrust law firms)
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht [Antitrust Research Association] (member of the board)
- Co-editor of Neue Zeitschrift für Kartellrecht, NZKart, Beck-Verlag
- Münchner Kommentar zum Europäischen und Deutschen Wettbewerbsrecht (Kartellrecht) (Munich Commentary on European and German Competition Law (Antitrust Law)), Volume 2 (author on Sec. 20 of the Act Against Restraints of Competition (Gesetz gegen Wettbewerbsbeschränkungen – GWB), Munich 2008
- Kartellrechtskommentar (Antitrust Law Commentary), (Ed.: Loewenheim/Meessen/ Riesenkampff), author on Article 9, Articles 19-22 of the EC Merger Regulation), Munich 2005, 2nd ed. 2009
- Joint Venture Handbook, chapter on antitrust law (with Dr Michael Bergmann), Heidelberg 2010
- Widerlegung der Oligopolvermutung nach der Entscheidung des BGH in Sachen Phonak/GN Store (Refuting the assumption of the existence of an oligopoly following the decision by the German Federal Supreme Court (Bundesgerichtshof – BGH) in the matter Phonak vs. GN Store, in: Zeitschrift für Wettbewerbsrecht (ZWeR), 3/2011, p. 81 et seq.
- Die Entscheidung des BGH zum Lotteriewettbewerb (The decision by the German Federal Supreme Court (BGH) on lottery competition), in: Zeitschrift für Wettbewerbsrecht (ZWeR), 1/2010, p. 81 et seq.