- Insolvency law and restructuring
- Banking law (debt and securities)
- Insolvency-related litigation
Dr. Thomas Hoffmann
Thomas Hoffmann has been advising companies in distressed situations and during insolvency proceedings for over 20 years. He co-heads Noerr's Restructuring and Insolvency practice group together with Martin Kleinschmitt, CEO of Noerr Consulting AG.
His typical instructions include bridge and restructuring financing on the basis of restructuring plans that meet the requirements of the German Federal Court of Justice as well as the restructuring of syndicated loans or listed bonds. The preparation and, if necessary, implementation of insolvency (plan) restructurings in self-administration proceedings on debtor’s side is just as much a part of his advisory activities as the representation and analysis of restructurings in the interests of shareholders or creditors.
Thomas is a managing director of Team Treuhand GmbH, a Noerr company which offers services in distressed situations, e.g. as a restructuring shareholder in a dual-benefit trust, a security trustee or a joint representative of bond creditors under the German Bonds Act. Further, Thomas is also a member of the board of directors at Noerr Consulting AG.
He is the author of numerous specialist publications and regularly gives lectures on current restructuring issues.
- Trained as a qualified banker
- Studied law and economics at the Universities of Passau and Tübingen
- Legal traineeship at Stuttgart Higher Regional Court
- PhD in Economics from the University of Stuttgart
- At Noerr since 1999
- Admitted to the Chamber of Lawyers in Baden Württemberg since 1995
- Condor Flugdienst GmbH: Restructuring proceedings after the collapse of Thomas Cook Group
- Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH: Preparing and implementing an in-court restructuring process for the sailboat manufacturer for the shareholders and main creditors
- AEG Power Solutions I 3W Power: Acting as the joint representative of the bond creditors during the in-court restructuring of the technology company
- Neschen AG: Advising an US-hedge fund as the principal creditor in the self-administration proceedings of the listed folio manufacturer
- centrotherm photovoltaics AG: Advising the listed company during the restructuing insolvency proceedings, keeping the company listed
- Lehman: Advising a group of major US creditors in the insolvency proceedings of the German entity Lehman Brother Bankhaus AG
- Recommended as Leading Advisor in Restructuring, JUVE (2020/2021)
- Recommended as one of the most renowned lawyers for restructuring in Germany, WirtschaftsWoche (2021, 2020, 2019)
- Recommended as one of the leading lawyers in Restructuring & Insolvency, Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers in Germany 2021
- Frequently recommended for M&A, Corporate Law, JUVE 2020/2012
- Recommended in Chambers 2020 as notable practitioner
- Insolvency Law and Restructuring subdivison of the German Lawyers’ Association
- TMA Germany e.V.
- Working Group for Insolvency Law (Arbeitskreis für Insolvenzrecht e.V.) (Berlin/Brandenburg)
- Kommentierung §§ 7,8 und 19 SchVG in Reinhard/Schall, Kommentar zum Gesetz über Schudlverschreibungen aus Gesamtemmissionen, De Gruyter, 1. Aufl. 2020
- Sanierungsrecht – Einführung zur Richtlinie der Europäischen Kommission über präventive Restrukturierungsrahmen, darin: Das europäische Gesetzgebungsverfahren, Wirkung des Restrukturierungsplans, Minderheitenschutz (with Andrea Braun), 2019
- Corporate Recovery & Insolvency 2018 – Germany (with Isabel Giancristofano), in: International Comparative Legal Guide 2018
- Ist das englische Scheme of Arrangement (noch) ein taugliches Sanierungsinstrument für deutsche Unternehmen? (together with Isabel Giancristofano), ZIP 2016, p. 1151 et. seq.
- Konsortialkreditvertrag, Formularvertrag mit Anmerkungen, Münchner Vertragshandbuch Band 2: Wirtschaftsrecht I, Verlag C.H.Beck, Munich, 7th edition, 2015
- Gläubigerbeteiligung in der Konzerninsolvenz, Flöther (ed.), Handbuch zum Konzerninsolvenzrecht, 2nd edition, 2018
- Beratung von Banken, Anwalts-Handbuch Insolvenzrecht, Runkel/Schmidt (eds.), Verlag Dr. Otto Schmidt, Cologne, 3rd edition, 2015
- Die Behandlung des Verlustausgleichsanspruchs gem. § 302 I AktG (with Dr Ingo Theusinger), NZG 2014, p. 1170 et. seq.
- Der Erhalt der Börsennotierung beim echten und unechten Debt Equity Swap in der Insolvenz der börsennotierten AG (together with Dr Laurenz Wieneke), ZIP 2013, p. 697 et. seq.